Monday, June 9, 2008

Passed Out

So we experienced a new adventure yesterday in the journey of parenthood. We were leaving church and Lane was SOOO DONE. Tired, hungry, cranky, yeah you get the picture. So he wanetd to go out the front doors, but we were parked in the other lot, so I grabbed his hand and led him the other way. WELL he wasn't very pleased with this idea, so he melted. He threw himself on the ground, and was beside himself. Well i scooped him up and he was in the middle of a "i'm going to cry until i can't breath" cry, and i kinda laughed and said.."breath lane, breath" well....i was expecting a big gasp of air then another cry. NOT SO MUCH! he just kept breathing out....then he got stuck....then he went from red to white. He got all stiff, his eyes rolled back into his head, and he totally passed out! So i'm watching this while he's in my arms, and I pretty much drop to my knees there in the gym at church yelling, "LANE!!! WAKE UP!!!" not the most professional thing to do, i admit. BUT it was pretty much the scariest thing i have ever seen. It was kind of a surreal feeling because normally, if i were at work, i would be fine. I'm trained in first aid, i know rescue breathing, CPR, it's all good. BUT i learned it's a little different (at least for ME) when it was my own kid!! So a few moments of shock pass by and i come too, and lay him on the floor and proceed to check if he's breathing, pulse etc.....and by this time he'd started breathing again but he was still unconscious, for about a min.....well there happened to be another guy there that was an EMT so he came in and helped me check Lane out. I was just about to go call 911, when he came too, and started whimpering again, then crying, then he opened his eyes. SOO we ended up taking him to the hospitol to get him checked out and apparently this is semi-normal!?!!?!?! yeah.. WHATEVER!!! they're called "breath holding episodes" kids do it when they're extremely mad, afriad, ect.......so.....there's something fun and exciting to look forward tooo!?! I also learned that this seems to run in scott's family (can we say anger management training in our future!??!!) Scott's brothers' did this, and his nephews....So there's something fun! But at least he's ok, and nothing's wrong.....but he better wait a LONG time before or IF he tries that again. I don't think his mama can handle it.

8 comments:

Janelle said...

Breath holding is actually quite common in toddlers. It's one of few things they can control in their universe, and it gets them the attention they're craving. My little girl is too young still to do it deliberately, so I don't have the experience of being terrified when it's your own child, but I used to work with a doctor (she was a bit of an eccentric) who said, "The good thing about breath-holding is that you always pass out and start breathing again!"

Unknown said...

Yeah I dont know how I would have handled that! How SCARY!!! I am glad he (and you) are ok! We are seriously counting down the days til we come to visit!! We cant wait to see you!

Natalie said...

oh man! that would be so scary!?! and i think i'd be just like you and forget everything i'd ever been taught about CPR, etc. duh! your brain is racing way too fast to even think straight! and of course, he had to do it at church...for everyone to see. kids are sneaky that way! glad everybody is okay!

Valeri Crockett said...

Hey Carol and Scott! Way cute little boy! I passed out like that all the time as a kid. I bet it is WAY scary. I'm glad he is ok! Send me your email and I can link you to our blog if you'd like. Vanilla_Val@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

i have NO idea that kids could actually hold their breath until they are blue in the face. intresting. jenn sporch

Cherrington said...

wow, what a stinker giving his mother a heart attack. That is so scary. He must have been really mad. I have heard of that before but have never experienced it. I am so sorry that had to be so terrifing.
Hope besides that episode you are all well. love ya
Jade

Beth Benson said...

holy cow thats crazy! glad this is normal though and he is ok :)

Unknown said...

yeah, i have a couple friends whose kids do that. freaky...at least it gets them a little sidetracked from the reason they had the meltdown in the first place, eh? hehe what a little fart :)
btw, as a formerly semi-professional medical personnel, i can DEFINITELY relate to the whole freaking out thing when your kid is hurt as compared to someone else. You should have seen me at 3 in the morning the first time LIam had a really high fever. I could hardly call the stupid on-call doctor i was freaking out so bad. This mom thing is a whole load of fun :)