Friday, October 10, 2008
Blow-out!
No, i'm not going to tell you a nasty story about one of Lane's diapers, although I would have PREFERRED that to the event which i'm about to describe. SO yesterday we got our inspection on our foundation forms, they passed (YAY) and our concrete people actually wanted to get out there in the afternoon instead of coming the next day (Even better!!) So everyone gets there, we start to set up, and Scott tells me: "Jim had a dream last night" Me: "oh yeah?" Scott: "yeah he dreamed that our foundation walls blew out at the bottom." Me: "yikes....that would suck...." Scott: "yeah, I think we're ok tho.....there's no way....." So this is the point where i probably don't even need to finish the story because you all know what's coming next....BUT I will.... SO they start to fill up the back corner wall, and i'm standing there watching, and I'm looking at this wall bouncing in and out while the kid is dumping concrete into the wall....and i am thinking...."hmmm that does look a little bouncy.....what if Jim was........." *POP**GUSH**GUSH**GUSH*** the bottom of the wall broke loose and concrete started pouring out the bottom all over the ground.....I was a little stunned, and was sure that was the end, and we'd have to take the whole thing down and scrape it all out and start over.....adding another week to our project.....BUT the men all scrambled and shoveled and pushed the wall mostly back into place and braced it up. And started pouring again...*WHEW* then *POP* It busted again, and pushed over the huge 2 foot around cement pillar it was braced on....YIKES! So then we were all at a loss of what to do, but the boys scrambled again and started bracing up the ENTIRE perimeter of the foundation and then we had the concrete people do laps around the place instead of filling one whole spot at a time, and that worked better. SOOO after a few hours, a lot of cuss words, some stollen 2x4's for extra bracing (thanks Frank and barb!), 1 pounded thumb, and some desperate prayers, we got the whole foundation poured and *HOPEFULLY* it lasted thru the night! I didn't take any pictures of this whole ordeal for fear that I would have had my camera smashed into a million pieces, but i'll post a pic of "the wall" after it's dried......it has an extra artistic element to it.....i'm sure that everyone that sees it will want on on their house..........we're up for hire :) just give us a call!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh I hope it stayed in place. Sounds like a "fun" adventure. Where was Lane through all this? Good luck with the other preparations on your house. I'm excited for you!
Lane was being a very good boy sliding down the dirt piles on his belly while we were frantically scrambling to brace up the walls.. he's a trooper and was a very patient little guy even without eating dinner till almost 7:30-8:00ish that night....
Post a Comment