Saturday, August 13, 2011

Huckleberry time!



I will preface this post with the disclaimer that I have turned into a complete slacker in the picture taking department!!!


We went to Baldy mountain to pick huckleberries today!!! It was so much fun, and such a pretty drive up the mountain. I love that we can drive down the road and up a mountain in almost any given direction!


Our picker pair! Lane was a great picker this year, and once lucy got the hang of it, you could set her in front of a bush and let her go at it. Of course none got in the BUCKET, just her mouth. But at least she was happy!! She would even pick a bunch and go "share" them with Macy....aka: Stuff them in Macy's mouth :) It was so cute. By the day's end, poor macy had a lap-full of berries, and a very purple stained shirt!
This is Lane modeling how to put the bucket on your belt for easier picking...




Scott and macy getting ready to walk and pick.




here's the stash. I think we did pretty darn good for a couple hours of picking with 3 little kids!



This is for my friends and family in Ohio that have never seen or heard of a huckleberry. This is what they look like......they're amaaaazing :)


So we have a little stash to freeze for the winter. I'm excited to try and make a huckleberry pie....and of course huckleberry milkshakes...mmmmmmm










3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Carol, don't forget huckleberry cheesecake! Our family went camping last week and we picked 3 gallons of those beautiful berries! I had never heard of a huckleberry till we moved to Idaho - man oh man are they yummy!!

Kandis said...

oh carol, i miss your face!! hope you save me some of those berries for when i come see you next!!! no i have no idea when that will be, but know this I LOVE YOU!

Ann said...

Mmmmm.......huckleberry ice cream!!!!